For those of you just joining us, Operation Supply Drop is Front Towards Gamer’s charity wing, where we build video game care packages for troops deployed to Afghanistan. We’re currently sitting at $54,000 in games and gear donated to the cause and several rifle companies worth of very satisfied soldiers and marines.
We’re calling it CRIMSON OMEN. What is a “Crimson Omen”? Oh, you know it, you just don’t KNOW you know it. You know the glowing red skull/gear logo that has become synonymous with the Gears of War franchise? Yeah, THAT is a Crimson Omen according to Gears of War lore…heh…Gears of War lore. Say that five times fast.
ANYWAY, our good friend at Epic Games, Natalie (see below), sent us a crate full of just about everything Gears of War related, including signed copies of Gears of War 3, several of the Gears of War extended universe fiction books, a whole mess of t-shirts, stickers…a truly epic offering from Epic Games.
Natalie, using all of her community manager powers, is going to post pictures of the selected unit with their care package over at Epic Games through their lancer-wielding community and hopefully raise a little more awareness about the charity (and maybe a little coin too). This will all climax into a late July, early August Gears of War 3 gamernight charity raffle, where we’ll be raffling off some cool (right now unconfirmed) swag to help raise donations.
So who’s getting this Gears of War focused care package? Jaron from a Signal company on his first ever deployment, and someone stole their damn Xbox!
First I’d like to thank this unique program for giving such awesome gifts to deployed soldiers. It’s a strange feeling being on a first deployment, away from family, spouses, and children. For most of us, it is our first, though we have numerous that have been on prior deployments. We are a signal company. To some that may not sound like the “hooah” job, but for us it can be. We jump around from place to place constantly, repairing broken communications equipment, we pull guard shifts just like everyone else, we certainly pull our own weight. In the free time we get though, many of us turn to video games as a source of entertainment. Most of us have some type of game console but many don’t. That being said, here is our wish-list:
- Xbox 360 or PS3 (One soldier brought a 360 and took it to his office to share, and it was stolen)
- Jonah Lomu Rugby (xbox 360 this one is for me, I love rugby and haven’t had a rugby game since my house was broken into a few years back and almost everything I owned was taken)
- Madden NFL (I bought 2012 for 360 from gamestop, got here to find out it doesn’t work)
- Call of Duty
- Lego Batman 2 (DS – my sons love these games and have the first one)
- Any war type game (Gears of War – Ghost Recon – etc.)
- Any sports game
Want to help us get video games to these guys? Here’s how: four simple ways to donate:
1) Use the Chipin link on the front of Front Towards Gamer.com. OR
2) Use the Chipin link on the front page of Operation Supply Drop.org. OR
3) Make a Paypal donation to email@example.com.
4) If you don’t want to send cash, you can simply send your used games or gear to the following address to make the next care package:
Operation Supply Drop
9301 Alvyn Lake Circle
Bristow VA, 20136
All right, let’s get after it folks! Just because the 4th of July fireworks and cookouts are through doesn’t mean we just go ahead and forget we have a military out there still mixing it up for us overseas!
(Also, because this doesn’t happen every day, Operation Supply Drop was just written up in the LA Times for being a pretty amazing charity. PRETTY sweet, go check it out after you’re done donating )